If you are plugged into a 4K TV and this is your first Software Upgrade, please read these instructions.
New Features in Upgrade 1.2:
Share your Pictures in 4K
With the Photos & Videos app, you can now share pictures in 4K resolution on Ultra HD TVs.
Enjoy Newly Released Apps
Live sports, news, and blockbuster movies, available from these new apps on Google Play:
- Fox Sports Go - Watch live sports like the FIFA Women’s World Cup or the U.S. Open.
- EPIX - Instantly stream thousands of Hollywood hit movies, concerts and comedy specials.
- CBS News - Watch CBSN, the new 24-hour digital news network from CBS News.
- CBS Sports - Watch CBS Sports content for NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, NCAA, Golf and more.
Play Newly Released Games
Immerse yourself in a great new set of games available today on Google Play:
- Doom 3: BFG Edition - The ultimate collection of games that defined the first person shooter.
- Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series, now in full 1080p HD – only on SHIELD.
- Machinarium – An award-winning indie adventure and puzzle game.
Enhancements in Upgrade 1.2:
- Delivers a SHIELD Accessories Upgrade for SHIELD Remote for snappier response.
Adds notifications for low battery on SHIELD Remote.
- Optimizes streaming experience for Google Play Movies and Netflix.
- Delivers enhancements for NVIDIA GameStream. Upgrade to the latest version of GeForce Experience on your PC for the best experience.
- Boosts audio level for recorded or broadcasted gameplay using NVIDIA Share.
- Delivers enhancements for SD card auto-move setting.
- Improves responsiveness for select wireless keyboards.
SHIELD Software Upgrade 1.1 Release Notes
Watch Netflix favorites like House of Cards, Breaking Bad, Marvel’s Daredevil, and more – up to 4K Ultra HD resolution.
Upgrades YouTube to 4K
Enjoy a breadth of 4K content from YouTube. Watch movie trailers, channels like RocketJump, GoPro videos, and more – all in 4K Ultra HD resolution.
Delivers Google Voice Search at the Touch of a Button
Touch the NVIDIA button on your SHIELD controller to initiate Voice Search.
Note: After the System Upgrade, apply the SHIELD Accessories Upgrade to enable this feature.
Enables Surround Sound and High-Resolution Audio
Enjoy a home theater experience with rich Dolby® 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass-through. Listen to high-resolution audio up to 24-bit/192 kHz over USB or HDMI.
Allows Wi-Fi Connections Away From Home
With support for captive portal, you can connect SHIELD to wireless networks that require web authentication, like hotel Wi-Fi.
- Allows SHIELD to automatically turn on your TV and switch it to the correct input source.
Enable this feature in Settings > Device > HDMI > CEC one touch play
- Allows TV remotes to control SHIELD with up, down, right, left, select, and exit buttons.
Sleep Now and Restart
- Enables quick access from the power menu on the Settings row of the home screen
LED brightness adjustment for the green light bar on SHIELD
- Adjust brightness in Settings > Device > System > LED brightness
Automatically move newly installed Apps to your SD Card
- Enable this feature in Settings > Device > Storage & reset > SD card
View available storage space on your SD Card or USB storage
- View in Settings > Device > Storage & reset
Adjust Audio Video Sync. Use to synchronize audio with the video stream.
- Adjust sync in Settings > Device > HDMI > Audio Video Sync
- Upgrades operating system to Android 5.1
- Adds 10-bit Rec. 2020 color space for Netflix
- Adds 3:2 pull down support for smooth 24 FPS video playback
- Adds 8-bit 4.2.0 color space support for 4K 60 FPS video
- Adds NTFS and exFAT support for SD Cards